Today is the release of Block 2 from the Fall Into a QAL, “Harvest Basket”, designed by April Adams of JANDA Bend Quilts, where you will find the free pattern and tutorial.
April’s pieced block looks pleasingly intricate yet is pleasingly easy to make.
- I always read through a pattern first just to get an idea of how the block will go together.
- It helped me to assemble the basket handle piece by visualizing and sewing the handles as the sides of the square.
- Then turn the piece to cut off the triangular bottom to create a rectangle!
The second part of the block is constructing the woven basket. Sewing sets of three fabric strips together, then cutting each strip into rectangular pieces, gives the woven appearance.
Basket trim and base are then added. Flip and stitch squares of your background fabric are added to the bottom corners and then two sections are sewn together.
When you trim your finished block to 12 1/2” square, be sure to leave at least a 1/4” of the background color at the top of the block for the seam allowance so the handle joining point is not cut off when assembling your quilt.
I’m looking forward to the Fall vegetables from my garden that I will put in my basket! Beans, lettuce and carrots ….Mmmm yum! 🥦🥕 🥕
Please visit each of the QAL hosts to see this block in a variety of inspirational fabrics and to read their tips for making this block:
Abbie at Sparkle On! >>>You are here!
April at JANDA Bend Quilts >>>Block Designer
Bobbi at Snowy Days Quilting
Jennifer at The Inquiring Quilter
Karen at Tu-Na Quilts, Travel and Eats
Sherry at Powered by Quilting
Vanda at Quilting with Vanda
To enter your block for this release’s prize you can:
- Join the “Partners in Design“ Facebook group and post a photo of your block. Here you will also meet and can interact with other the quilters who are participating.
- On Instagram using the hashtag #fallintoaqal
- Join the linky party on April’s blog.
When you post a picture on our FB group page, Instagram and/or the designer’s linky party, you will be automatically entered to win Block #2’s prizes:
Fun fact: April is a Quilt in a Day Certified Teacher. You can visit her Workshop Page to request a Quilt in a Day Workshop in your area or visit her Quilt Shop to see her own patterns.
* To keep the contest portion of the QAL fair and fun for everyone, the prize will be randomly awarded to one person who completed the designer’s block pattern. We encourage you to make each block your own, however a substitution will not gain entry. The giveaway is open to International participation. The deadline for entry is Monday 6/11/18 at 11:59 EDT. We would love you to post your photos on all our formats, but entry is limited to one per person per block. Must be at least 18 years old to enter. *
🍁 Would you like to join us? Read all about the Fall Into a QAL here! 🍁
Block #3, designed by Sherry Shish of Powered by Quilting, will be released on June 12th, 2018.