Today is the release of Block 3 of the Fall Into a QAL, “Bonfire,” designed by Sherry Shish of Powered by Quilting, where you will find her free pattern and tutorial.
This fun to make pieced block with appliqué.
My process and tips:
- The border is made up of a total of eight flying geese with four corner squares added to first and third section.
- The bonfire itself is made from appliqué pieces that are arranged on the center piece cut to 9” square. ***Remember to trim this center piece to 8 1/2” square after your appliquéing is complete and before you added your geese border.
- I ironed the smaller inner flames to the larger flames first, then arrange all the pieces in the center as pictured in the pattern. Then I marked a dot with a water soluble pen at the tip of each flame and set them aside. Next I adhered the firewood, and placed the flames back using the dots as my guide.
- I used the blanket stitch setting on my machine to appliqué the pieces. I used some red metallic I have for the inner flames 🔥
Every October we spend a week at a cabin in Hyner Run State Park. In the evening we sit around a bonfire listening to the peacefulness around us and the crackles of the burning wood, while watching the pretty orange and red sparks that dance around it. This fun and fiery block reminds me of that.
Please visit all of the QAL hosts to see this block in a variety of inspirational fabrics and to read their tips!
Abbie of Sparkle On! >>>You are here!
April of JANDA Bend Quilts
Bobbi of Snowy Days Quilting
Jennifer of The Inquiring Quilter
Karen of Tu-Na Quilts, Travel and Eats
Sherry of Powered by Quilting >>>Block Designer
Vanda of Quilting with Vanda
To enter your block for this release’s prize you can:
- Join the “Partners in Design“ Facebook group and post a photo of your block. Here you will also meet and can interact with other the quilters who are participating in the QAL.
- On Instagram using the hashtag #fallintoaqal
- Join the linky party on Sherry’s blog.
When you post a picture on our FB group page, Instagram and/or the designer’s linky party, you will be automatically entered to win Block 3’s prizes:
* To keep the contest portion of the QAL fair and fun for everyone, the prize will be randomly awarded to one person who completed the designer’s block pattern. We encourage you to make each block your own, however a substitution will not gain entry. The deadline for entry is Monday 6/25/18 at 11:59 EDT. We would love you to post your photos on all our formats, but entry is limited to one per person per block. You must be 18 years or older to enter. *
Block 4, designed by Sandy Maxfield will be released on 6/26/18.