Block 5 of the Fall Into a QAL is “Acorn” is designed by Kathleen Scargle McCormick of Kathleen McMusing where you can her download the free patterns!
Kathleen has written two versions of her block for you to choose from; the “Pieced Acorn” or the “Split Appliqué Acorn.”
Here is my pieced Acorn block, which is easy and fun to put together!
- Tip: The acorn body is a 7 1/2” x 8 1/2” piece. Be sure that your flip and stitch squares are on each corner of the longer 8 1/2” width.
- I have never tried the split appliqué technique so decided to try something new. My mistake is my advice to those that make it; use fusible web not adhesive paper! I mindlessly used Heat-n-Bond instead of fusible web, as the pattern instructs and realized that I could not sew the split pieces back together because they were too stiff. I’m eager to try the split version again, but because of time, I made the pieced version for my quilt, which I adore!
I picture my acorn laying in the grass, waiting for that squirrel who will find this special treat! 🐿
Please visit all of the QAL hosts to see both versions of this block in a variety of inspirational fabrics and to read their tips for making them:
Abbie at Sparkle On! >>>You are here!
April at JANDA Bend Quilts
Bobbi at Snowy Days Quilting
Jennifer at The Inquiring Quilter
Karen at Tu-Na Quilts, Travel and Eats
Sherry at Powered by Quilting
Vanda at Quilting with Vanda
The prizes for this block includes:
Two printed “Vintage Blessings” exclusive mini patterns from Shabby Fabrics; Vintage Kite Table Runner Pattern & Vintage Garden Wall Hanging Pattern
A 5” charm pack of “From the Chateau” fabrics by Lisa Audit for Wilmington Prints donated by Kathleen.
To enter your block for this releases’ prizes you can:
- Join the “Partners in Design“ Facebook group and post a photo of your block. Here you will also meet and can interact with other the quilters who are participating in the QAL.
- On Instagram using the hashtag #fallintoaqal
- Join the linky party on Kathleen’s blog.
When you post a picture on our FB group page, Instagram and/or the designer’s linky party, you will be automatically entered to win Block 5’s prizes. We would love you to post your photo on all our formats, but entry is limited to one per person per block. You must be 18 years or older to enter.
To keep the contest portion of the QAL fair and fun for everyone, the prize will be randomly awarded to one person who completed either of the designer’s block pattern. We encourage you to make each block your own, however a substitution will not gain entry.
*The deadline for entry is Monday 7/23/2018 at 11:59 EDT. *
Block 6 designed by Sherry Shish of Powered by Quilting be released on 7/24/18.