I’m happy to announce the release of the Block 8 of the Sew Let’s Quilt Along “Pin Cushion” designed by Sherry Shish of Powered by Quilting. Visit Sherry’s blog to view the block tutorial and download the free pattern!
This is a 12″ x 12″ applique block pattern. I love the simple, bold design.
A fond memory I have is sitting with my mother when I was little when she sewed at her machine. Of course she had a tomato pin cushion and I would push straight pins into the little strawberry attached to it by a string. She said it was stuffed with sand and that I was “helping her” by sharpening her pins.
The tomato is a standard must have pin cushion. I love that it has stood the test of time.
- I always review a pattern completely before cutting. It helps me know what techniques will be used and get a feeling of how the pieces go together.
- For the large pin cushion piece, I cut out the center of the applique paper first, before ironing it to the fabric piece. This makes your block less stiff overall and also easier to embroider.
- Keep in mind that the background fabric you chose may show through the applique pieces. You can always do a small test piece with scraps to see how it looks when appliques are adhered.
- Enjoy and have fun! 🍅
Visit the Segment 2 hosts to see this block in a variety of fabric and color inspirations. Hosts also provide their own tips to sewing the block, as well as answer any questions you have.
Segment 2 of the Sew Let’s Quilt Along:
During this segment, running from May 21st through July 15th, blocks 6 through 9 will be released for a total of four blocks.
- Block 8 by Kathleen McCormick of Kathleen McMusing will be released on July 2, 2019.
To quilt along you can:
- Follow my blog for the latest block release, including links for the featured designer and hosts and to see my version of each block, along with tips to help you make it.
- Join the “Partners in Design” Facebook group . Here you see other participants blocks, post your photos and ask any questions.
- On Instagram, use the hashtag #sewletsqal
♥ Segment 2 Prizes ♥
- A Warm 100 queen size batting from the Warm Company.
- A fat quarter selection from Dear Stella, “Can You Dig It?” collection.
- Three printed table runner patterns from the exclusive Shabby Fabrics collection the Vintage Series.
And a pattern of your choice from from each of these Partners in Design:
To enter Segment 2’s contest giveaway:
Complete all four of the blocks in Segment 2 and post one photo showing all of your completed blocks on our FB page, IG #sewletsqal, or the ending linky party by July 15th 11:59 pm (EST).
Also, don’t forget there is a super duper Grand Prize that will be awarded to one lucky winner who completes all 13 blocks and uses them to make small projects or one quilt top.
The prizes are open to international participants and all participants must be at least 18 years old.
Please make your blocks your own in fabrics and embellishments, but only those that make the designer’s pattern are eligible for prize entry.
Patterns are free during the duration of the QAL.
Thank you to all of our wonderful and generous QAL Sponsors! As well as all the designer’s who are providing free quilt patterns of their own for prizes.
Learn all about this Partners in Design’s mystery QAL here. Please quilt along with us! We are enjoying this fun journey with you!