Welcome to Segment 3 of the Sew Let’s QuiltAlong!
I’m happy to announce the release of the Block 10 “Buttons Quilt Block” by Laura Piland of Slice of Pi Quilts. This is a fun design with a bold pattern done in applique, with an ingenious twist to cutting your templates. Visit Laura’s blog to view the block tutorial and download the free pattern!
- I always review a pattern completely before cutting. It helps me know what techniques will be used and get a feeling of how the pieces go together.
- If you use a lighter background/button hole fabric, check to see if the button fabric shows through. If it does, you may want to use a bit of fusible interfacing to prevent it from showing through.
- Keep track of circle versus ring when cutting out your fabric after fusing templates. It is easy to cut out the center of a button circle, I learned this by experience!
- While I machine embroidered my large button with a satin stitch, I noticed a bit of bunching. To avoid this, you may want to try a cut away fabric stabilizer on the back side of the block.
Visit the Segment 3 hosts to see this block in a variety of fabric and color inspirations. Hosts also provide their own tips to sewing the block, as well as answer any questions you have.
Segment 3 of the Sew Let’s Quilt Along:
Segment 3 is the final installment of the QAL! During this segment blocks 10 through 13 will be released every two weeks until August 27th. On September 10th the prize winner for this segment will be announced. The Grand Prize winner will be announced on September 24th.
♥ Segment 3 Prizes ♥
From our Sponsors!
A Craft Storage Tool Box from Everything Mary.
4” Needlecraft Scissors from Omnigrid (a Prym Company).
A 5 Piece Fat Quarter bundle from Paintbrush Studio Fabrics of the “Ring Ring” collection by Hoodie Crescent (color Cinnamon).
A 13 piece Fat Quarter Bundle from Timeless Treasures of the Colette Collection.
A free digital pattern from each of our Segment 3 designers!
Laura Piland from Slice of Pi Quilts
Becca Fenstermaker from Pretty Piney
Sandy Maxfield from SandyStar Designs
April Adams from JANDA Bend Quilts *Christmas Tree Farm table runner
To quilt along you can:
- Follow my blog for the latest block release, including links for the featured designer and hosts and to see my version of each block, along with tips to help you make it.
- Join the “Partners in Design” Facebook group . Here you see other participants blocks, post your photos and ask any questions.
- On Instagram, use the hashtag #sewletsqal
To enter Segment 3’s contest giveaway:
Complete all four of the blocks in Segment 3 and post one photo showing all of your completed blocks on our FB page, IG #sewletsqal, or the ending linky party by September 9th 11:59 pm (EST).
Also, don’t forget there is a major Grand Prize that will be awarded to one lucky winner who completes all 13 blocks and uses them to make small projects or one quilt top. Photo entries for the Grand Prize must be posted by September 23rd.
The prizes are open to international participants and all participants must be at least 18 years old.
Please make your blocks your own in fabrics and embellishments, but only those that make the designer’s pattern are eligible for prize entry.
All patterns are free during the duration of the QAL.
Block 11 designed by Becca Fenstermaker of Pretty Piney will be released on July 30th.
Thank you to all our QAL Sponsors!
Learn all about this Partners in Design’s mystery QAL here. Please quilt along with us! We are enjoying this fun journey with you!