It is with my great pleasure to announce the release of Block 1 of the Sew, Let’s Quilt Along, “Sewing Machine” designed by Sandra Healy of Sandra Healy Designs. Visit Sandra’s blog to download her free pattern and view her tutorial post.
We thought that a sewing machine would be the perfect start of a sewing themed QAL and Sandra’s design is perfect! The finished block will measure 18 x 24” finished. It is a perfect size for the centerpiece if you are completing a quilt using all 13 blocks or as a wall hanging or any smaller project. As a small project host, I will present my projects as ideas for you to make on May 7th, the end of this segment.
- I always review a pattern completely before cutting. It helps me know what to expect and get a feeling of how the pieces go together.
- Follow the cutting chart and use the sewing machine schematic Sandra provides. It is a great help!
- I used machine embroidery for the main black thread and to secure my wheel. I hand embroidered the needle with silver thread and the spool tops with embroidery floss.
- I added iridescent beads for my control buttons. Too cute :)
- If you plan to quilt this block, wait to add embellishments.
I was hesitant to use my Kona solid bright pink but I am so glad I did! I love my pink machine. It’s your machine so have fun with it!!!
Visit these hosts to see Sandra’s Sewing Machine in a variety of fabric and color inspirations. Host’s also provide their own tips to sewing this block. Also, all the hosts are available to provide tips and help for making each block, answer any questions and encourage you!
♥ Segment 1 Prizes ♥
Check out this awesome prize package we have for the winner of Segment 1! A great thanks to our wonderful sponsors.
A newly released item from Omnigrid® (a Prym Company)
Large Folding Cutting Kit that includes an 18″x 24″ mat, a 3″x 18″ ruler and a 45 mm rotary cutter.
A Timeless Treasures Tonga Treat Strip Jr. “Orchid” -20 pc 2 ½ strip pack.
Two Shabby Fabrics Vintage Blessings printed table runner patterns and a packet of Sunflower laser-cut appliqués (small.)
And! A free PDF pattern of your choice from each of these Partner’s in Design:
Powered by Quilting *up to $10.00
To quilt along you can:
- Follow my blog for the latest block release, including links for the featured designer and hosts and to see my version of each block, along with tips to help you make it.
- Join the “Partners in Design” Facebook group . Here you can meet and see other participants blocks, post your photos and ask any questions.
- On Instagram, use the hashtag #sewletsqal
To enter the contest:
Participants can enter the prize drawing by sharing a single photo with all segment blocks on facebook, instagram, or the hosts blog linky party at the end of each segment.
If you complete the blocks and post your photo during a segment and before the next one starts, you will be eligible for the segment prize. To be eligible you must post your photo by May 20, 2019 by 11:59 pm (EST).
The prizes are open to international participants and all participants must be at least 18 years old. Please make your blocks your own in fabrics and embellishments, but only those that make the designer’s pattern are eligible for prize entry.
Mystery Block 2, designed by April Adams, will be release on March 26th!
Please quilt along with us! We are looking forward to this fun journey with you!
~Abbie ✨ a